Denver Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Car Accident Attorneys | The Bourassa Law Group

Denver Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Car Accident Lawyers

If you or a loved one has been involved in a car accident with an underinsured or uninsured motorist, not only are you having to deal with the immediate serious issues of property damage, injuries, or even, sadly, death, but you are also having to grapple with the problem of who is going to pay for all that you have lost and all the economic and non-economic hardships you are facing as a result of the accident.

The Denver underinsured and uninsured motorist car accident attorneys of The Bourassa Law Group understand how traumatic all of this is for you. We have successfully handled many cases like yours and we have been able to people just like you recover compensation in underinsured and uninsured motorist car accidents. Call us today at (800)870-8910 for a no-cost consultation about your case.

Colorado Car Insurance Policies

In the state of Colorado, all drivers are required to have minimum car insurance coverage of:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury per person
  • $50,000 per accident
  • $15,000 for property damage liability

Colorado drivers are not required to purchase optional coverage for underinsured/uninsured motorists (UM/UIM), but if they don’t want it on their policy, they must notify their insurance company in writing.

The best-case scenario is that both you and the driver at fault for your accident have UM/UIM coverage on your insurance policies. Although the other driver may be underinsured for the losses you’ve suffered, their policy should pay its maximum, and your insurance company should cover everything else up to the limits you purchased on your car insurance policy for UM/UIM.

However, if the driver who caused your car accident was uninsured, even if your insurance company pays the full amount of your UM/UIM policy coverage it likely will not cover all the economic costs, and it certainly won’t cover the non-economic costs associated with your accident.

When drivers decide not to buy car insurance, their decisions can mean dire consequences for other drivers when car accidents happen. However, not all hope is lost even when you’ve been involved in a car accident caused by an uninsured motorist.

Call the Denver underinsured and uninsured motorist car accident lawyers at (800)870-8910 for a free consultation about the options you may have to recover compensation from the negligent and underinsured or uninsured driver who caused your accident.

What Defines an Underinsured Driver?

Even if a driver has the minimum coverage required by state law, that amount may not be enough to cover medical bills and property damage. Medical expenses alone are so high that catastrophic injuries may be significantly more than the at-fault driver’s car insurance policy’s UM/UIM covers.

If you are involved in an accident with a driver whose car insurance coverage is much less than what you’ve suffered in economic losses, you should retain legal counsel as soon as possible. There are a few options that may provide some help, but you’ll need an experienced underinsured and uninsured motorist attorney to help you pursue them:

  • The driver may pay cash for the damages, but most drivers will not have the ability to pay such a high amount out-of-pocket.
  • You may be able to settle with their insurance company, but you must first be sure that your insurance company allows this. The problem with doing this is that you don’t yet know the full amount of expenses you will have for the accident. There may be medical bills for injuries that don’t show up on X-rays or MRIs at first. If you do go this route, your attorney will ensure make sure that the settlement amount includes lost wages and tax liability.
  • You also may have the option to sue, depending on which state you are in. In any case, you should contact an attorney. A good accident lawyer can advise you on which path to take, and even if you decide not to sue, they can deal with the insurance company and make sure you get the best possible settlement.

Why Do I Need an Underinsured and Uninsured Motorist Car Accident Lawyer?

You are dealing with serious injuries – and possibly the death of a loved one – from your underinsured/uninsured motorist car accident. You are also looking at high, and possibly long-term, medical costs for your recovery, lost wages because your injuries have left you unable to work, expensive car repairs or car replacement, and the emotional and mental trauma of the accident itself.

That’s a heavy burden for anyone to bear under the best of circumstances, but trying to take on the extra burden of a legal battle to get fair compensation for your losses is more than can be reasonably expected on anyone.

An experienced underinsured and uninsured motorist car accident lawyer can help you. With their expertise and experience in this area of personal injury law, they can carry this burden for you and work to ensure the best possible outcome in your case, while you focus on picking up the pieces of your physical well-being through healing and recovery.

Contact The Bourassa Law Group at (800)870-8910 today to see how our legal team can walk with you through this horrible period in your life and will offer you the support you need.

Why Choose The Bourassa Law Group?

When you choose The Bourassa Law Group to represent your legal interests in an underinsured/uninsured motorist car accident case, you get a partnership. Our commitment is to provide each of our clients with exceptional and personalized service, underpinned by integrity, empathy, and ethics, using our many years of knowledge and experience in personal injury law.

The Bourassa Law Group understands that your life has been turned upside down by the underinsured/uninsured accident you were involved in. In an instant, nothing was the same. We also understand the stress you are under as you face a long physical recovery, mounting medical bills, lost income from work, property damage to your car, and the mental and emotional effects that inevitably accompany being in a car accident.

The Bourassa Law Group is committed to getting justice for you, whether that is through a fair settlement from the insurance companies or it is from a jury verdict in trial. We are in your corner every step of the way, and we will not stop until you are compensated fairly for your losses.

Contact us today at (800)870-8910 for a no-cost consultation about your case.

What to Do When You’ve Been in an Underinsured Motorist Car Accident?

  • In any accident, the most important first step is to make sure you, your passengers, and those in the other vehicle are safe. If you are in a dangerous location, get to safety.
  • Call 9-1-1. This will alert emergency services and law enforcement of the accident. Law enforcement staff will create an accident report, which your attorney will need for your case, especially if the at-fault driver is uninsured.
  • Seek medical treatment as soon as possible. Do not refuse medical care if it is offered by the EMTs. You may be suffering from invisible injuries like a concussion or internal damage, which could show symptoms hours or days later. Further, if you refuse treatment, it may be used by the insurance company to argue that you suffered no injuries in the accident. You need documentation of medical care for any claims you make later.
  • Obtain contact information from the other driver. It can be difficult to track them down later, especially if they didn’t have insurance. Get the make and model of the other car, driver’s license, and license plate number. Write down the time and location of the accident, and the name and badge number of the responding officer.
  • Take pictures of damage to vehicles, physical injuries, and damage to the roadway and the environment. These can provide clues later that will be helpful to your claim.
  • Talk to witnesses. Be careful what you say, however. Do not make any assertions or apologies.
  • Call The Bourassa Law Group right away. A good lawyer will investigate the scene of the accident and review your medical documents to build a solid case.

What Can I Expect in Compensation in an Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Car Accident?

The answer depends on the type of insurance you carry. If you have uninsured motorist coverage, it may compensate you for medical expenses and damage to your vehicle. In Colorado, you have up to three years from the date of the car accident to file an UM/UIM claim. It is very likely, however, that all of your economic and non-economic losses will far exceed what UM/UIM coverage pays, so you should hire an attorney to file a lawsuit to try to win the compensation to cover all of them.

Call The Bourassa Law Group Now

If you have been injured or a loved one has died because of an uninsured or underinsured motorist car accident, you are hurting and suffering beyond compare. As the aftermath – in the form of medical treatment, rehabilitation, lost time from work, temporary or permanent disability, trauma, and inability to even do daily activities – unfolds, you may find that you are just feeling overwhelmed and don’t know where to go from here.

Getting the compensation that you are entitled to won’t remedy all of the losses, but it can help you get back on solid ground and start moving forward with life again. The Bourassa Law Group can help you. We will work with doctors, police, and others to collect evidence and documents, and put together an ironclad case to work toward getting you justice.

Call The Bourassa Law Group at (800)870-8910 today for a free consultation about your case and to begin your journey toward a new and better day.

Contact Us: