Denver Jackknife Accident Attorney
Jackknife accidents are among the most devastating crashes that occur on Denver’s busy roadways. While jackknifing isn’t always preventable, it often occurs due to negligence. There may be negligence due to driver error, manufacturer defect, or more.
Were you harmed in a jackknife accident in Denver or the surrounding areas, and you believe someone else was at fault? You may be entitled to significant compensation, which can cover your medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
The Denver truck accident attorneys of The Bourassa Law Group can take aggressive legal action on your behalf. Our law firm is dedicated to securing compensation for those who’ve been wrongfully injured. To learn more, contact us today at (800)870-8910 and schedule a free consultation with a member of our team today.
How Jackknife Accidents Happen
“Jackknifing” is a term that refers to when a big rig or tractor-trailer bends into a V-shaped position, like the folding of a knife. In order to understand how jackknife accidents occur, it’s important to know exactly how a big rig’s braking system works. These trucks typically have three braking systems:
- One system to control the steering axle in the front
- One system to control the driving wheels in the back of the cab
- One system to control the trailer wheels
An experienced truck driver will know how and when to use each braking system to safely slow down. Drivers should also pay attention to potential hazards up ahead on the road because braking suddenly in a big rig is far from ideal.
In the event the driver must stop suddenly, there are generally three options:
- Lock the steering axle brakes. This will cause the truck to move forward, even if the steering wheel is at an angle.
- Lock the drive axles. This often results in jackknifing.
- Lock the trailer wheels, which may cause the trailer to swing outward. This sometimes results in jackknifing as well. The trailer may also crash into other vehicles as it swings out from its normal position.
Types of Jackknife Accident Cases we Handle
Jackknife accidents can occur in a number of different circumstances. Among the cases we handle, these are the most common scenarios:
- Truck Driver Negligence: This includes fatigue, following too closely, not paying attention to hazards on the road, inattention, distracted driving, and intoxicated driving.
- Trucking Company Negligence: Negligence on behalf of the trucking company can also result in jackknifing. For example, the trucking company has a duty to hire qualified, experienced drivers who understand how to safely operate a large truck. Also, the company should not be pressuring employees to drive longer than federal regulations allow, which leads to fatigue.
- Speeding: If a trucker is driving too fast, this makes it very difficult to stop safely. In the event the driver has to stop suddenly, the chances of jackknifing increase.
- Braking During Turns and Bends: When approaching a turn, it’s usually best to brake in a single line prior to entering the turn. Braking, while already in the turn, can cause jackknifing.
- Mechanical Failure: Overlooked mechanical defects may cause the truck’s brakes to fail or lock up, resulting in jackknife accidents.
If you intend to pursue compensation, it’s essential that you hire an attorney. An attorney will be able to fully investigate how the accident occurred so that legal action is taken against all responsible parties. This ensures you fully recover all compensation you’re entitled to.
Compensation for Victims of Denver Jackknife Accidents
Injuries after a jackknife collision are rarely minor. You may be facing a lifetime of difficulties and costly medical care. This is why it’s important to seek the help of an experienced attorney when pursuing compensation. An attorney can help you secure the highest compensation available.
If you decide to take legal action and file a personal injury lawsuit, you may be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Economic Damages: After the accident, were you hospitalized? Did you require surgery or other medical treatment? Any out-of-pocket costs for medical treatment may be covered by compensation for economic damages. Economic damages can also include: lost wages, future lost income, rehabilitation or physical therapy, cost for wheelchairs and assistive medical equipment, and any related out-of-pocket expenses.
- Non-Economic Damages: Being involved in a jackknife accident doesn’t just affect you physically and financially. You’ve likely suffered a great deal of emotional trauma as well. The state of California considers this an important part of your overall compensation. As a result, accident victims may be entitled to compensation for non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and other psychological distress. If you’re filing a wrongful death lawsuit, you may also recover compensation for loss of companionship.
Because the type and amount of compensation you can recover will vary depending on the severity of your injuries and the circumstances surrounding your crash, it is crucial to hire an attorney with specific experience handling truck accident cases to help you understand what you might be owed.
Why Choose The Bourassa Law Group?
The Bourassa Law Group has been recognized for our commitment to our clients and their families. When you choose our personal injury law firm to handle your case, you can expect:
- A dedicated legal team ready to fight on your behalf.
- Personalized legal service, every step of the way.
- A free consultation and case evaluation.
- An aggressive legal strategy to ensure you’re fairly compensated. We’ve recovered millions of dollars for truck accident victims and their families.
- No upfront costs, so you don’t have to pay a dime unless we recover compensation.
Speak with a Denver Jackknife Accident Attorney Now
If you were hurt in an accident involving a jackknifed tractor-trailer, you have a right to demand compensation from the parties that caused the crash. It’s critical to hire an experienced attorney to protect your legal rights against large trucking companies and their insurers.
At The Bourassa Law Group, our Denver truck accident lawyers won’t let anything get in the way of pursuing the compensation you’re entitled to. We’ll use all resources necessary to investigate the accident, get witness statements, and hire relevant experts.
To learn more, contact us today at (800)870-8910, and schedule a free consultation with our team today.