Las Vegas Truck Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one have been injured or killed in a truck accident, you are dealing with catastrophic consequences. Injuries in truck accidents are often very severe – even leading to death – and can leave truck accident victims with life-altering debilitating injuries that may prevent them from returning to their professions or from being able to work at all.
Medical bills, loss of income, property damage, and mental and emotional trauma added to the immediate aftermath can leave you feeling overwhelmed, with no idea what to do next.
The Bourassa Law Group understands all the pressures you are dealing with and is here to help ease the burden you are carrying from the truck accident you were involved in. Our team is comprised of experienced Las Vegas truck accident lawyers who will work every legal aspect of your case with the goal of getting you the compensation you deserve.
Contact us right now at (702) 851-2180 for a no-cost consultation about your truck accident, so we can begin working alongside you to recover from all that you’ve lost.
Large commercial trucks crisscross the country every day delivering cargo on short deadlines. When the pressure is on to stay on these very tight schedules, the risk of truck accidents significantly increases.
The sheer size of commercial trucks, combined with weights that can top out at 80,000 pounds (the average passenger car weighs an average of 3,000 pounds), can result in devastating damage, injury, and death when they are involved in an accident.
Numbers from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration show that in 2017 there were almost 450,000 police-reported crashes involving larger trucks. 4,889 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes that year. Countless others have survived but been left with life-changing injuries.
The legal team at The Bourassa Law Group has the experience you need to handle the ramifications of a large truck accident. We fight to help you get what you deserve and move forward with your recovery and your life. Call us today at (702) 851-2180 for a free consultation about your case.
Why You Need The Bourassa Law Group to Handle Your Truck Accident Claim
Truck accidents differ greatly from other vehicle accidents. They typically cause significantly more damage because of their size and weight. Additionally, commercial trucks carry dangerous cargo such as toxic chemicals or flammable materials, which can make accidents even more destructive.
Here are some reasons why trucks accidents can be much more complex than car accidents:
- Level of Injury – The level of injuries that occur in a truck accident are often more critical than those in other vehicle accidents. The size, the weight, and, sometimes, the speed of a commercial truck can make an impact with a smaller vehicle drastically worse. Injuries tend to not only be more severe but sometimes they can be permanently disabling or life-altering, requiring long-term medical care and rehabilitation.
- Property Damage – Cars don’t stand much of a chance against commercial trucks. In most cases, the car is totaled in truck accidents. You’ll need help getting a replacement car and handling your transportation needs after the accident
- Multiple Parties Involved – Truck accidents aren’t always as straight-forward as other types of vehicle accidents. There are multiple different parties that may come into play, depending on the type of accident. The driver of the truck may be liable for the accident, but responsible parties may also include the trucking company, the truck owner, the cargo loaders, or even the truck manufacturer.
- Complex Insurance Issues – From the moment a truck driver gets into an accident, a team of people at the trucking company and their insurance company springs into action. Their job is to protect the driver, the company, and their bottom line quickly and quietly.
Add to that the fact that there may be multiple insurers to deal with, and you have a complicated mix that can make getting fair compensation difficult, to say the least. Getting the legal team of The Bourassa Law Group on your side can help you get the compensation you deserve. We are experienced at going fighting against all companies who may try to take advantage of you.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
The circumstances surrounding a truck accident can vary widely. Inclement weather conditions, cargo that has been secured or loaded improperly, wide-swinging turns, and blind spots in a truck driver’s field of vision can all lead to accidents on Las Vegas roads. Some of the common causes of truck accidents are:
- Distracted Driving- A driver who is doing any activity that takes their full attention away from the road is driving distractedly. Distracted driving is quickly moving to the top of the list of reasons for all vehicle accidents, including truck accidents.
- Driver Fatigue- Truck drivers are pressured to make long hauls in short periods of time. This can lead to truck drivers sleeping too little and driving too much. Fatigue leads to slower reflexes, slower reaction time, a loss of concentration, or even falling asleep.
- Poor Truck Maintenance and Equipment Failure- Tire blowouts and brake failures cause a large number of trucking accidents, but poor truck maintenance can cause other mechanical or system failures, which can lead to truck accidents.
- Speeding and Sudden Stops- Truck drivers who are facing tight delivery deadlines may be more interested in getting in on time than maintaining a safe speed. A speeding truck is a major hazard on the roads. The same goes for trucks that make sudden stops because it takes much more time and space to safely stop 80,000 pounds of moving metal.
There can be other factors that lead to truck accidents out on Las Vegas roads. The knowledgeable lawyers at The Bourassa Law Group can examine all the details of your truck accident to determine what factors contributed to the accident.
Common Injuries in Truck Accidents
Truck accidents can cause calamitous damage and injuries to everyone involved, but especially people and property in smaller and less-heavy vehicles. Some injuries that are common in truck accidents include:
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Head, neck, and spine injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue damage
- Internal bleeding, damage to internal organs
- Cuts and bruises
- Brain injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Wrongful death
Types of Truck Accidents We Handle
Not all trucks or trucking companies are created equal. The lawyers with The Bourassa Law Group can handle a variety of different types of truck accident claims from big-rigs to buses. The types of truck accident cases that we can help you with include, but are not limited to:
- 18 wheelers and semi-trucks
- Moving trucks and vans
- Delivery trucks
- Flatbed trucks with and without cargo
- Tanker trucks
- Commercial and construction trucks
- Tow trucks
- Cargo trucks
- Garbage and recycling trucks
- Refrigerator trucks
- Coal and logging trucks
- Improperly loaded and secured loads
Who is Liable for a Truck Accident?
That can be a tough question to answer because the answer depends on the circumstances of the accident. The truck driver may be held liable for the accident. However, the trucking company, the truck owner, the cargo loaders, or even the truck manufacturer may also have a part in causing the accident.
Securing legal representation as soon as possible after a truck accident is the best way to ensure that your rights are being protected. At The Bourassa Law Group, we begin right away gathering and maintaining evidence important to your case. That evidence may include:
- Damaged property
- Injuries and/or fatalities
- Inspection reports from the trucking company
- Maintenance logs and reports
- Cargo logs
- Alcohol or drug testing results
- Police reports or any other important information that could be related to your case
Types of Compensation
The attorneys at The Bourassa Law Group have the expertise to negotiate with big trucking companies for the compensation that you deserve. The compensation you’re entitled to may depend on a variety of factors relating to your truck accident. We work hard to get you everything that you are entitled to. Compensation may include:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Financial damages
- Property damages
- Loss of income
- Potential loss of future income
- Pain and suffering
When you have lost a loved one in a truck accident, there may be additional types of compensation that can be sought, including:
- Lost wages of the primary earner in the family
- Loss of companionship
- Mental anguish
- Medical expenses
- Funeral expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Potential punitive damages
Why Choose The Bourassa Law Group?
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a Las Vegas truck accident, you are living with unimaginable physical, financial, emotional, and mental pain and loss. You may feel as though life has come to a grinding halt and you don’t know how to get it moving again.
Additionally, you may be hounded by phone calls from people you don’t know and companies you’ve never heard of who are clamoring insistently for you to accept the money they are offering for your truck accident right away.
The Bourassa Law Group is there to walk with you through the process of recovery. Our empathetic and knowledgeable legal team wants to help you be able to focus on your welfare and the welfare of your family. We do this by taking care of every legal aspect of your truck accident case, including dealing with all those companies who seem to be stalker-calling you about settlements.
There is absolutely no cost for you to call and speak with the Las Vegas truck accident attorneys at The Bourassa Law Group. We offer a free consultation to get to know you and your case. Contact us right now at (702) 851-2180 so that we can help you get the justice you are owed.
Frequently asked questions
The legal definition of a personal injury is when someone’s failure to use reasonable care in a particular situation results in another person’s physical, emotional, or psychological injury. Personal injury cases often rely on the elements of negligence to prove the responsible party’s actions were the cause of the other party’s injuries.
The length of a personal injury case depends on the type of case and various factors, such as the severity of the injury sustained and the duration of necessary treatment. A car accident case might take six months to resolve, while a wrongful death lawsuit could take two years. It all depends on the circumstances surrounding the case.
No. Whether you got hurt in a car accident or on someone else’s property, you should never speak with their liability insurance company about the claim. They try to save money whenever possible and could attempt to trick you into accepting a low settlement amount or intimidate you into dropping the case. Your Denver personal injury lawyer will handle all communication on your behalf.
It depends. A vast majority of personal injury cases settle out of court. When we file a claim with the insurance company, we’ll submit evidence that proves you deserve compensation for your injuries. Sometimes the insurer is willing to settle. Other times, they deny the claim or provide a settlement much lower than you deserve. Under those circumstances, we will file a lawsuit and take the case to court.
Mediation is a step during a lawsuit where both sides meet to try to reach an agreement. The mediator listens to the arguments on both the plaintiff’s and the defendant’s sides and attempts to resolve the issue. If they can reach an agreement, they will settle out of court, and the case will get dismissed. If they can’t resolve the matter, the case will proceed to trial.