Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Denver
Whether it was poorly placed debris, a poor driver, a pedestrian walking on the wrong path, or more, bicycle accidents can be particularly taxing because of the general “unprotected” nature of the rider. These accidents can impact not only your physical health but also your mental well-being. The medical treatment therein and other damages can also stack up which is why you will need a bicycle accident lawyer.
The Bourassa Law Group has a dedicated team of experienced bicycle accident lawyers who are always ready to help you recover, no matter the extent of the accident. We understand the numerous challenges you’ll face and are committed to elevating your physical, emotional, and mental distress via adequate compensation.
Each of our bicycle accident attorneys in Denver offers personalized attention to your case, dealing with every minute detail of your circumstances accordingly. This also means that we may be able to overturn a tragedy into an opportunity for you by fighting on your behalf and achieving the desired results. Furthermore, by getting adequate damages, we can help you repair your bicycle and ride safely.
Every story has two sides, and we would love to hear and fight for your side of things. Our accident lawyers in Denver are always ready to deliver swift justice and hold people accountable for their negligence or mistakes. Call the Bourassa Law Group today at (800) 870 8910 and book a free consultation!
Table of Contents
Why Hire A Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
A bicycle accident lawyer is a legal professional on your side who specializes in the field of personal injury law. They help people such as yourself who have been injured in a bicycle accident to recover compensation for their injuries and other losses.
There are many reasons why hiring a bicycle accident lawyer in Denver is a good idea. One of these is that they have knowledge of the latest laws and regulations in your state, and they know how to navigate through the legal system to get you the compensation and damages you deserve.
What Would Classify as A Bicycle Accident?
A bicycle accident is a type of traffic collision involving a bicycle and a car, truck, or another vehicle. Many different factors can cause an accident, such as distracted driving, speeding, following others too closely, debris on the road, poorly placed utilities or poles, and more.
Bicycle accidents can also be caused by walkers’ or car drivers’ failure to obey traffic laws or signal their intention to turn. If you are injured in a bike crash, it is important to consult with an experienced Denver bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
How the Bourassa Law Group Can Help
The Bourassa Law Group is a collection of highly motivated and justice-oriented individuals providing impeccable legal services to people in the Denver area. Our attorneys specialize in personal injury, making bicycle accident cases one of our areas of expertise. We listen to your side of things and empower you in a court of law, hence alleviating your mental and physical stress via compensation.
The Bourassa Law Group has been helping people who have been hurt in accidents for over 30 years and has recently become one of the most reliable firms in the area. We help people get the justice they deserve and are open to facilitating your recovery further in any way possible! If you are not up for it, we can take over the case without you having to spend hours in court.
We are committed to fighting for justice for all of our clients, no matter what the case may be. If you or someone you know is interested in learning more about this law firm, please contact us today to book a free appointment. We are a friendly bunch who cares about you. So, no matter your case, rest assured that we have covered you!
Steps to Take Immediately After A Bicycle Accident
There are three primary steps you should take after a bicycle accident.
- Call the police and inform them of the accident.
- If you are injured, then you should go to the hospital for medical attention.
- You should also get a copy of the police report from your insurance company.
A copy of the police report will also help us investigate the accident further. You should cooperate with the investigation team, be it of the police, the other party, or our own, and present a clear representation of your side of things to increase your chances of winning damages. You should also call us when in the hospital so that our bicycle accident attorneys can help you find the best course of action.
Bicycle Accident Cases We Handle
Following is an overview of some of the different bicycle accident cases our lawyers have handled over the past.
- Riding against traffic. About 25% of bicycle/motor vehicle crashes happen when cyclists ride with traffic headed in the opposite direction. This can create both a turning and visibility issue for motorists who do not expect to see a bike coming from the opposite direction.
- Cross collision. A car pulling out of a side street might collide with a cyclist riding on the right-hand side of the road with cars. When a motorist is distracted and turns in front of a cyclist, either will collide with the other. A driver’s worst nightmare is when a cyclist pulls out in front of them, the rider often can’t see the vehicle because it’s hidden behind a building or tree.
- This includes the right and left cross-collision.
- Rear-end collisions. Rear-end collisions are a common when bicyclists do not brake when approaching cars from behind at stop signs or red traffic lights. They also happen when bicyclists riding on the right-hand side of the road swerve left to avoid hazards in the road.
- Pedestrian collisions. One common type of bike accident is when a cyclist collides with a pedestrian. Riding on the sidewalk instead of the road or designated bicycle lanes can increase your chances of hitting someone. When cyclists enter an intersection, there is also a chance that they will collide with pedestrians.
- Right hook collision.
- Vehicle overtaking bicyclist.
- “Dooring,” i.e., when someone opens their vehicle door without looking behind or giving a warning.
- Uncontrolled intersection accidents.
- Road rage.
- Any other type of accident where a car or motorcycle hit you
- A road-rage incident where a driver hit you, your bicycle, or otherwise threatened you.
- A wild animal or a pet attacks you while on your bicycle
- An otherwise dangerous defect or circumstance on the road caused you to suffer the accident.
- A defect or issue in the bike that the manufacturer or service person did not inform you of caused the accident.
This list is NOT inclusive of all sorts of accidents, though. If you have been in a bicycle accident in Denver and are looking for a reliable attorney, give the Bourassa Law Group a call. We’d love to help!
Damage You Can Face from Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents are a common occurrence, and they can result in physical, emotional, and mental injury. There are many different kinds of injuries that can happen from a bicycle accident. Some of the most common include broken bones, soft tissue damage, and a rash. These injuries often require medical attention to heal properly.
The dangers of bicycle accidents are more than just physical ones. It is also important to consider the mental toll an accident has on someone involved in it. The mental effects may be even more prevalent than the physical effects because there is often no visible wound or scarring for people to see when they look at themselves in the mirror.
The most important thing to do if you have been involved in a bicycle accident is to get yourself looked at by a doctor right away so that you know what treatment you need and how long it will take before you can return to your normal activities again.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Denver
The city of Denver is committed to providing safe and accessible transportation options for all residents. One of the most popular and environmentally friendly forms of transportation in Denver is cycling.
Unfortunately, bicycle accidents are not uncommon in the city. The most common causes of bicycle accidents are:
- Distracted driving
- Failing to leave an adequate buffer when driving,
- Speeding cyclists, motorcyclists or vehicles,
- Weaving and bobbing while on the road or cycling path.
- Unsafe lane changes,
- Turning without a signal or without looking at the incoming traffic
- Running red lights or speeding through yellow lights
- Ignoring stop sign
- Not yielding to incoming traffic or other signals
- Driving while impaired
- Improper handling of pets or other animals
- Poor driving conditions
- Poor vision, and more.
The City of Denver has implemented various initiatives to improve safety for cyclists. The Bicycle Advisory Committee (BAC) was created by Mayor Hancock in 2015 with the goal of increasing awareness about bike safety and helping make Denver a more bike-friendly city.
How Much Does a Bicycle Accident Lawyer Cost?
Lawyers and attorneys are professionals who work in the field of law and help people in resolving their legal issues. You can hire Bourassa Law Group bicycle accident attorneys at any time to represent you in court or to negotiate on your behalf with other parties.
The cost of a lawyer depends on the type of case, the lawyer’s experience, and the location. Some lawyers charge an hourly rate, while others may have a retainer policy. Some lawyers have a contingency fee, i.e., they only get paid when you win your case.
Of course, this varies from lawyer to lawyer. The hourly rate for a lawyer is usually $150-300 per hour. The total cost depends on how many hours they spend on your case and how much you will be charged per hour.
You should call Bourassa Law Group or write to us to learn more about how much your case can cost you!
What to Do While You Are Recovering from a Bicycle Accident
We all need to take care of our health and safety. This is especially true when it comes to accidents. From when you have had a bicycle accident to recovery, there are several things you should do to ensure safety and better chances of damage retrieval.
The first thing you should do after an accident is to make sure you are safe. This means that you should stop moving and get completely off of your bicycle. You should check yourself for any injuries and then look at your bicycle.
If there is any damage, take pictures immediately for record keeping. Furthermore, you should get the insurance information of the person who hit you if that is the case. You should also take pictures of what caused the accident, i.e., a hazard on the path, a car that hit you, an animal, or more.
After your bike has been completely taken care of, move on to the next step: getting checked out by the doctor or hospital. If this is not possible, then it may be best to stay put and rest until help arrives.
When recovering from a bicycle accident, you should focus on your physical and mental health. However, we understand that there must be a lot going through your head, especially if you have been wronged. So, the best course of action is to call a bicycle accident attorney in Denver at Bourassa Law Group. We can help you go through the basics of health and damage recovery and take on legal proceedings on your behalf.
Hire a Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Denver
Motorists aren’t the only ones who get injured in traffic accidents. Their poor and rash driving decisions also harm bicyclists.
If you’ve sustained an injury because of a motorist’s negligence, you can seek compensation by filing a personal injury claim. This will help you cover your medical expenses and alleviate the financial stress caused by the accident, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
The Bourassa Law Group has a team of bicycle accident lawyers in Denver who can help you with your injury claim. Fill out our contact form or call at (800)870-8910 to speak to a representative today. You can also book a free initial consultation for your bicycle accident case in Denver.
Types of Compensation You Can Receive After a Bicycle Accident
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be entitled to the following types of compensation:
- Medical costs: You may be able to receive payment for medical bills, including doctors’ visits, hospital stays, lab work, physical therapy, and prescription drugs.
- Lost wages: If you are unable to work because of your injuries, you may be able to receive compensation for lost wages.
- Physical property damage: If you or your bike have been damaged in the accident, you may be able to receive compensation to cover the cost of repairs.
- Pain and suffering compensation: You may be able to receive compensation for pain and suffering if you have mental trauma from being injured.
- Punitive damages: You may be able to collect punitive damages in certain cases of relatively egregious behavior, such as intentionally causing an accident or maliciously damaging your bike.
The extent of compensation you get will depend on the extent of damage done. It is important to note that your mental health is also a major consideration here and will also play a major role in determining the degree of compensation you get.
The bicycle accident lawyers in Denver from The Bourassa Law Group understand the difficult times you are going through and therefore work hard in your favor. We understand that the world may seem grim after the accident, and therefore are committed to refreshing your perspective. We help you realize that there is good in the world, too.
Our attorneys in Denver help you come out of the situation in the most effective way possible, allowing you to get the most out of a bad situation. We help you get the compensation you deserve not only for your injuries but also for all the other elements therein. If you are a victim of a bicycle accident in Denver, contact our expert personal injury lawyers today! Call us at (303) 331-6186 and get a free, no-compulsion consultation.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a personal injury because of a bicycle accident?
A personal injury from a bicycle accident is a claim that arises when a person is injured in some way because of a bicycle. The typical types of injuries include physical injuries and emotional or psychological injuries. Emotional or psychological injuries are often difficult to quantify, so they are often classified as “garden variety” damages.
How long does it take to get my compensation after a bicycle accident in Denver?
When someone is injured in a bicycle accident, knowing what to do and where to turn for help can be difficult. The legal team at The Bourassa Law Group understands the confusion that often accompanies getting help after an accident. Call us today to learn more about the extent of compensation you can expect against your claim when dealing with a bicycle injury.
How much can personal injury lawyers help me get as damages?
Personal injury lawyers are the legal professionals who help people pursue compensation for injuries. They know the law and will provide you with a free consultation to discuss your case. Once our bicycle injury attorneys in Denver have taken all the necessary details and provided you with advice, they will let you know what kind of compensation you can expect to receive.