Slip-and-Fall Accident and Personal Injury Lawyers
Premises liability laws apply in Colorado when someone slips and falls as well as other states like Nevada. Properly navigating these rules with the help of slip-and-fall accident lawyers can be essential to recuperating from a slip-and-fall accident.
You may think that a slip-and-fall incident is not very serious. However, the reality is that slip-and-fall incidents rank among the most common categories of personal injury claims made each year. It is because slips and falls frequently lead to severe and lasting effects, despite sounding like minor mishaps.
People can have catastrophic injuries from slips and falls. These include severe head and traumatic brain injuries, injuries in the knee and hip, and fractured bones. You can also count other ailments that leave them unable to work and with significant medical expenditures.
Suppose you or a family member has experienced severe injuries due to a slip-and-fall accident. In that case, you must become aware of your legal entitlement to compensation.
Our slip, trip and fall accident lawyers at The Bourassa Law Group are are here to help. We offer specialized representation and can help injured individuals get fair compensation.
Our lawyers are prepared to thoroughly investigate the circumstances around your injury. We will then work tirelessly to hold all responsible parties liable for your losses. Our mission is to compensate you fairly for your losses and help you quickly return to your daily life.
Call The Bourassa Law Group at our Help-Desk Number (800) 870-8910 for a free consultation today!
Table of Contents
Why Hire a Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyer?
A personal injury accident victim can get help from a slip-and-fall lawyer to pursue monetary compensation for their damages. People often think they should only reach out to legal counsel when their case goes to court. However, often times that can be too late. You can benefit significantly from hiring a slip-and-fall accident lawyer from the start, which immediately after the injury itself.
You can get compensation for your losses if your injuries result from another person’s negligence. They include the building management, building owner, or landlord. Your claim can be handled by a lawyer who specializes in slip-and-fall accidents. They can pursue it in court if they cannot obtain reasonable compensation through mediation or through the pre-litigation process.
How Our Lawyers Can Help With Premises Liability Legislation
According to premises liability legislation, property owners must keep their safe for invitees. Occupiers like renters or property managers may also be liable in rare circumstances. There are also some situations where both the owner and the tenant are liable for any injuries from slip-and-fall accidents.
No matter who is at fault, you must demonstrate one of the following:
- The defendant made no efforts to remedy, rectify, or alert invitees about the hazardous condition causing the slip-and-fall accident.
- Despite being aware of the hazardous situation, the defendant did nothing to remedy it, make it safer, or alert invitees.
- Since any sane individual would have noticed the situation and resolved it, the defendant should have been aware of it.
It can be challenging to establish fault. Moreover, accident victims frequently find this procedure extremely difficult while they work to recuperate from their injuries. A variety of additional reasons make it more difficult to establish liability. For instance, the responsible party or the insurance provider might assert:
- The plaintiff, who filed the claim, was negligent on the property and contributed to the accident.
- The claimant was trespassing on the premises when the slip-and-fall happened.
- Given that a sane individual could avoid the accident, the claimant should have been able to do so.
It can be challenging to establish both liability and causation in such cases. It makes it essential to get knowledgeable legal counsel from the competent slip-and-fall accident lawyers at The Bourassa Law Group. They can prove your claim in court and help you get fairly compensated for it.
What Is a Slip-and-Fall Accident?
Accidents involving a slip-and-fall can occur anywhere, these are also called slip trip and falls and, cause life-threatening injuries. For instance, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that each year falls result in over 800,000 hospitalizations. These events frequently involve hip fractures and brain traumas, two disorders that might leave the person permanently or temporarily disabled.
Accidents involving slipping and falling can occur anytime, anywhere. Even though a small slip may not seem like a serious thing, it can cause severe complications. These include spinal cord damage or traumatic brain injury. So, slip-and-fall accidents may result in long-term impairment, and the related rehabilitation-related expenses can quickly become a significant financial burden.
However, you can claim damages from the person who was at fault. This compensation can cover your medical expenses, lost income, and suffering.
Common Causes and Places of Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Property owners are responsible for keeping invitees on their property safe, but sometimes they fail to do so, leading to accidents. The following are some of the most common causes of slip-and-fall accidents:
- Slippery or wet floors. Whether brought on by a spill that wasn’t cleaned up, a leaking pipe, snowfall, rain, or naturally slick surfaces like polished marble floors or glass.
- Unsteady or uneven surfaces. Keeping walkways secure and safe for people in a building. Trip hazards, such as rough brickwork or concrete surfaces, cracked tiles, or even holes, can result in accidents.
- Cluttered, disorganized, or poorly illuminated passageways. Clutter can quickly turn into a hazard that leads someone to trip and fall. It is especially true if the building or property owner doesn’t keep things nice and organized.
- Risky ramps and stairs. A tripping hazard can arise if stairs and ramps aren’t maintained and serviced regularly. It is also dangerous to have cracked or loose boards.
These are the most common reasons for slip-and-fall mishaps.
The following are some of the most common places for slip-and-fall incidents:
- Construction sites
- Grocery stores
- Retail establishments
- Business offices
- Convenience stores
- Sidewalks and parking lots
- Arenas and stadiums
You should speak with a personal injury lawyer about your accident if you were injured at one of these establishments.
How the Bourassa Law Group Can Help
You can pursue legal action for slip-and-fall accident injury by filing a personal injury lawsuit. If required, our slip-and-fall lawyers in Denver can handle your case and argue for you in court.
You can get a free consultation with the slip-and-fall accident lawyers at The Bourassa Law Group to begin. They will evaluate your case before recommending an appropriate course of action.
The wisest decision you can make after a slip-and-fall accident is hiring a slip-and-fall lawyer from The Bourassa Law Group. With experience in handling premises liability cases, our team can get you the compensation you need to cover your injuries. Additionally, our lawyers can provide you with the following benefits:
- We provide a no-cost initial consultation with a reputable Denver personal injury attorney.
- We handle every case on a contingency fee basis, so unless we successfully negotiate a settlement or win your case in court, you will never be responsible for paying our fees.
- You can be sure that your case will get the utmost attention from the beginning of the investigation process through the trial.
- We get to know our clients on an individual basis. And we never lose sight of the fact that we are defending their rights and self-respect.
Call us at our Denver Office at (303) 331-6186 immediately to discuss your legal options following a slip-and-fall accident.
Steps to Take After a Slip-and-Fall Accident
Here are the four steps to take after a slip-and-fall accident to win your case and get compensated for your injuries:
1. Collect Documentation to Prove Accidents and Injury
Documentation can easily prove an injury from a slip-and-fall accident; it is a major challenge to overcome. The record of evidence can be textual, such as notes received from the treating physician. Or it can be visual, such as photos taken at the site of the accident.
It is essential that you document the accident scene as soon as possible after the event. Ask a witness or bystander to take photos with their phone and send them to you. You will not get a second chance to take photos, so take photos and videos from different angles and viewpoints. Additionally, you should get medical help as soon as you can. Keep all the data and paperwork you get from your doctor as proof in the case of a lawsuit.
2. Link the Proof of Injury to the Accident
Connecting the injury or injuries to the accident is crucial after you have produced proof of an injury via documentation. Failure to prove this connection will probably lead to the dismissal of your claim; it is because the defendant can claim that a pre-existing ailment caused the injury you suffered.
3. Prove the Legal Responsibility of the Defendant for Your Safety
As per the law, property owners must keep their premises reasonably secure for invitees; failing to do so may result in legal action. A least one of the following three conditions must be satisfied for a property owner to be held liable:
- The spill, worn-out area, or other slick or unstable surface or object that led to the accident was either caused by the property owner or a staff member.
- Despite being aware of the unstable surface or object, the owner or an employee did nothing to address it.
- A “sensible” individual in charge of a property would have found the unstable surface or item and taken the necessary steps to remove or fix it. Therefore, the owner or an employee should have been aware of it.
4. Strengthen Your Claim Using Expert Witnesses and Other Useful Evidence
The evidence provided by both sides is ultimately considered by judges and prosecutors in the courtroom. Strong evidence improves the chances of successful litigation and can also help in an out-of-court settlement between the parties.
In a trial, expert witnesses can utilize their knowledge of physics, medicine, and other relevant fields to demonstrate that an accident could have plausibly resulted in a severe injury like yours. For example, a qualified “tribologist” can be called in if a slip-and-fall accident happens on a wet surface; they can help assess whether or not the floor has an adequate level of traction.
Slip-and-Fall Accident Cases We Can Handle
Accidents can happen anywhere, including at work, home, store, and elsewhere. The circumstances and design of a property, as well as any foreknowledge (or lack of knowledge) regarding potential safety dangers, can all affect how they happen.
When someone trips, falls, or slips on someone else’s property, it’s vital to consider who might be responsible for it.
The lawyers at The Bourassa Law Group can handle cases related to slip-and-fall accidents that occur due to any of the following:
- Insufficient illumination on stairs or in pathways
- Surfaces with ice, snowy, greasy, or damp conditions
- Hidden extension wires and goods left on the ground floor
- Ill-conceived stairwells
- Faulty or dangerous constructions (e.g., balcony, terrace)
- Poorly maintained sidewalks
- Abrupt changes in the floor’s elevation
- Damaged or damaged carpets
- Rotted or damaged floors
Additionally, we offer legal representation if the plaintiff (fall victim) was injured as a result of the defendant’s negligence in:
- Maintaining a secure environment.
- Insufficiently alerting guests to potential dangers on their property.
How Much Does a Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyer Cost?
Because each case is unique, the cost of a slip-and-fall lawyer will vary; it can vary according to the gravity and complexity of your claim, and the compensation you are requesting; the fees the lawyer you select sets for their clients can also determine the costs.
The slip-and-fall lawyers at The Bourassa Law Group take cases on a contingency fee basis. It implies that you only pay something if you receive a settlement offer or your legal action is successful.
Your attorney will deal with the insurance provider and the property owner on your behalf. If these talks fall through, your lawyer will file a lawsuit against the property owner. Most attorneys will only ask for payment while dealing with your case once you receive compensation.
It’s essential to understand how the costs and fees will be covered if you win your case when dealing with a lawyer on a contingency fee basis. The majority of lawyers will take, on average, between 30 and 40 percent of your total payout. However, some other lawyers will even ask for up to sixty percent.
Any expenditures incurred must also be deducted from the sum you are awarded. These costs to build your case may include court fees, paperwork fees, and other ad hoc expenditures. These costs can occasionally range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars.
By calling or writing to The Bourassa Law Group, you can better estimate how much your case is likely to cost you.
What Are Slip and Fall Accidents?
Slip and fall accidents occur when a person trips and/or falls due to someone else’s negligence. While they may not seem like a big deal, you can sustain serious injuries in a slip and fall accident that result in expensive medical bills and a loss of wages. Hiring a slip and fall lawyer can help you get compensation.
Hire a Slip and Fall Lawyer in Colorado
Looking for a reliable slip and fall lawyer in Colorado for your case? The Bourassa Law Group can help. Fill out our contact form or call at (800)870-8910 to speak to a representative today. You can also book a free initial consultation with our team.
Types of Compensation You Can Receive After a Slip-and-Fall Accident
You might be entitled to compensation for your losses if you were hurt after slipping or falling on someone else’s property.
Damages are a legal word used to describe financial and nonfinancial losses brought on by personal injury and punitive damages (under relevant circumstances).
- Economic Damages: Include medical expenditures, loss of earnings, and other anticipated expenses for treating and recovering from harm.
- General Damages: The intangible losses a victim experiences, like their physical suffering and any possible mental distress.
The kinds of compensation you can get through the accident claims procedure will vary depending on the seriousness of your injuries, whether you were partially at blame for the accident, the nature of the property (such as personal or commercial), and other factors.
Contact The Bourassa Law Group
The attorneys at The Bourassa Law Group can assist if you or someone you know has slipped and fallen on someone else’s property due to the owner’s failure to keep the area safe.
Our Denver slip-and-fall accident lawyers can assist you in learning about your legal options and beginning the claims process; they can also help in assembling evidence to bolster your claim, and negotiating a just settlement to cover your losses.
By getting in touch with us at (303) 857-5557, you can arrange a free consultation with one of our specialist lawyers in Denver; you can go over the specifics of your accident with them and get an idea of the potential worth of your case.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is a Slip-and-Fall Injury?
In personal injury law, the phrase “slip-and-fall” refers to someone stumbling or tripping, falling, and suffering injuries. A slip-and-fall accident must take place on another person’s property to qualify as such. Premises liability is a broad topic of personal injury law that typically encompasses these issues.
What Is the Statute Of Limitations on a Slip-and-Fall?
Most people who suffer from personal injuries—including slip-and-fall claimants—have two years from the date of the injury to bring a claim, as per Colorado’s statute of limitations. There are very few exceptions to the rigorous deadline. Speak with a qualified lawyer in your area as soon as possible to adequately prepare your case.
How Much Compensation Can Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyers Get Me as Damages?
There is no typical range, as it depends on the facts of your individual case. So It is often dependent on the facts of your case, your medical costs, lost earnings, and other accident-related losses. You might get an estimate of how much your case is worth by getting in touch with our slip-and-fall accident lawyers in Denver. Contact us today for more information!