Bicycle accidents can have devastating outcomes, including severe injuries, property damage, and even death. For the safety of cyclists on the roads, they must understand the prevalence and reasons behind these accidents. This blog article will discuss the prevalence of bicycle accidents in Las Vegas and offer advice on how to avoid them.
According to information from the Nevada Department of Public Safety, Clark County, including Las Vegas, constitutes 82.7% of bicycle incidents out of 490 annual accidents in Nevada. These crashes are more prevalent after 6 pm, indicating that nighttime driving and riding is particularly dangerous for cyclists.
In Las Vegas, city streets and junctions were the sites of most bicycle accidents. These factors most frequently caused accidents:
- Failure to yield: Drivers of motor vehicles frequently fail to yield to bikes, which leads to crashes.
- Speeding: Accidents involving bicycles can result from irresponsible driving and high speeds.
- Distracted driving: Motorists may fail to see bicycles on the road if they are preoccupied with their phones, music, or other activities.
Cycling enthusiasts should take precautions to lower their risk, even if it may not always be possible to prevent bicycle accidents completely. The following advice can help you avoid bicycle accidents in Las Vegas:
- Wear a helmet: In an accident, a helmet can protect your head and lessen the likelihood of head injuries.
- Use reflectors and lights: Using reflectors and lights can increase your visibility to drivers, particularly at nighttime or in low light.
- Follow traffic regulations: Cyclists must abide by traffic laws, which include waiting at stop signs and giving hand signals when turning.
- Utilize dedicated bike lanes: Take bike lanes when available to prevent collisions with motor vehicles.
- Avoid unnecessary distractions: Use phones only when tracking the route and avoid any further distractions to prevent collisions.
- Wear bright clothes: Bright reflective clothes make you instantly more visible to motor drivers.
- Use hand signals: Whenever changing lanes or turning a corner, use hand signals to indicate the moves.
Bicycle accidents in Las Vegas are only rising in frequency, which calls for additional awareness and vigilance for cyclists. Following all the preventive measures and being extremely cautious of their riding and other drivers around street junctions can help them stay out of danger. In case of an accident, contact Nevada accident injury lawyers and get compensated for your loss if you weren’t at fault.
Bourassa Law Group is the leading law firm in Las Vegas that offers the best bicycle accident lawyers. In Las Vegas, residents and cyclists requiring legal representation in personal injury cases can contact our law firm for the best local legal services.
3 Tips to Avoid Bicycle Accidents in Carson City
Bicycling is an efficient means of short-distance traveling. It requires no fuel and keeps one fit. It is also one of the most popular modes of transportation because it requires little maintenance. But like any other means of travel, bicycles can also be involved in accidents. Since the popularity of bicycles is still fairly new […]
7 Steps to Take After a Motorcycle Accident
Although there are precautions you may take to avoid a motorbike accident, accidents can still happen to even the most cautious drivers. NHTSA estimates that only 5% of drivers are motorcycle riders. However, studies reveal that fatal motorbike accidents occurred 27 times more frequently than incidents involving passengers in cars in 2017. Consequently, it’s crucial to […]
7 Things You Should Never Do After A Cycling Accident
Cycling accidents in Nevada are, unfortunately, very common. In Las Vegas alone, there were over 438 injuries and eight fatalities every year. This figure only represents the number of reported bicycle accidents. Many of these aren’t reported, either. There is no denying that bicycle accidents can have devastating effects on the victims and their families. In […]
A Quick Guide to Nevada Bicycle Laws for Out-of-State Visitors
Nevada is popular among cyclists with its gorgeous parks, trails, bike paths, and active bicycling community, Nevada is popular among cyclists. The state also has clearly defined bicycle laws that out-of-state visitors are often unaware of and end up violating them unknowingly. So, we thought to put a quick guide for visitors who plan to […]
A Quick Guide to Nevada Motorized Bicycle Laws
In the post-pandemic age, motorized bicycles have become increasingly popular in Nevada due to several reasons, including soaring fuel prices, less traffic wait times, and minimal route constraints. Overall, these cheap and innovative alternatives to cars and motorcycles are an excellent form of transportation in busy cities like Carson City and Las Vegas. However, they […]
A Quick Overview of Nevada Bicycle Laws
Many people prefer buying bicycles in Nevada since it is an opportunity to work on their fitness and save money commuting. The hot summers are also a great reason to invest in a quality bicycle, allowing you to get your exercise in and enjoy the sun. However, you must prioritize bicycle safety since accidents can […]