What Happens When a Car Slips on an Icy Road and Hits a Pedestrian?

No Colorado resident is a stranger to bad weather and poor road conditions. However, people still have to get to work and have places to go. Hence, they have no choice but to navigate icy or snow-covered roads to reach their desired destinations. Unfortunately, things can go wrong in seconds, and a minor slip can cause the vehicle to collide with a road object, another vehicle, or worse – a pedestrian.

So, many locals frequently ask who’s responsible for car sliding on ice accidents that hit and injure pedestrians. Since Colorado is a fault-based liability state, the answer is straightforward. Drivers must exercise due caution in bad weather. Therefore, black ice, rain, or snowfall are no excuse for causing traffic collisions.

If you’ve been injured by an out-of-control car sliding on ice while walking on the side of the road or during a crossing, you can sue the responsible party for compensation by hiring an experienced Colorado car accident lawyer.

Legally, a driver can’t blame the weather for an accident. They must exercise reasonable caution when operating a vehicle in Colorado in any weather condition. So, whether their vehicle hits a patch of ice or they get blinded by the snow before hitting a pedestrian, they’ll be responsible. Reasonable caution includes:

  • Driving slower than the speed limit.
  • Turning off high beams.
  • Braking earlier than usual when approaching traffic signals.
  • Keeping an eye out for pedestrians, etc.

If you’re hit by a vehicle in Colorado, you can seek compensation for:

  • Medical bills
  • Pain and suffering
  • Lost wages
  • Emotional distress

However, you must file a lawsuit against the responsible party (parties) to get compensation through a settlement, third-party insurance claim, or court award following trial. So, you’ll need an experienced car accident lawyer to represent you in court.

Steps to Take After Getting Hit By a Sliding Car

If you’ve been hit by a car on an icy or snow-covered road in Colorado, call 911 immediately to report the incident and get medical attention. You might need to head to the emergency room to treat injuries or undergo surgery if the injuries are severe.

However, if you don’t need serious medical attention, follow the steps below:

  • Obtain the responsible party’s car number and contact information
  • Get evidence by taking pictures or making videos of the accident, including your injuries, vehicle damage, etc.
  • Exchange insurance information.
  • Look for witnesses (other pedestrians, drivers, etc.) and get their contact information.
  • Report the accident and your injuries to your insurance company.
  • If you have a lawyer, contact them before speaking to your insurance company.

Suing the Responsible Driver or Party

To get compensation for injuries or damages, you must prove negligence on the driver’s part. For instance, you must show that they were driving recklessly and that the collision caused your injuries. If the driver was operating a commercial vehicle, you can also sue their employer since they’re liable for actions their employees take.  

Finally, you can make a claim against the local or state government for issues leading to the driver losing control of their vehicle in icy conditions, such as:

  • Improper snow removal
  • Malfunctioning traffic signals
  • Dangerous roads
  • No warning signage, etc.

Contact a Colorado Car Accident Lawyer Right Away!

If you’ve been hit by an out-of-control vehicle in icy conditions, the Bourassa Law Group can help prove negligence and get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our Colorado car accident lawyers will work with you at every step of the case, from gathering the necessary evidence to coming up with solid arguments to take on the defendant and their lawyer.

Feel free to contact us for a consultation at 800-870-8910 and let us discuss your case in detail, along with the available legal options.

Related Posts

Free Case Evaluation

The evaluation is FREE! You do not have to pay anything to have an attorney evaluate your case.