Truck accidents can be particularly dangerous, leading to serious physical, financial, and mental injuries. Apart from the immediate impacts, there are also several secondary impacts therein. From missed work and deadlines to the emotional impact on you and your family, there are countless elements to consider.
There are three primary types of damages you can claim in case of a semi-truck accident claim:
- Economic damages,
- Non-economic damages, and
- Punitive damages.
In case you lose someone in a truck accident, you may also be entitled to damages in a wrongful death case. The damages you receive may vary depending on the severity of the accident, its impact, and who was at fault.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the types of compensation you can get in a semi-truck accident claim in Nevada, your options, and more.
Understanding Economic Damages After a Truck Accident In Nevada
Economic damages are financial losses directly resulting from the truck accident. This involves the cost of property damage, medical bills, lost wages, and any other costs related to the accident.
- Property Damage – Any damage or destruction to your personal property in a semi-truck crash is recoverable at full value in Nevada. If you need to replace any items like clothing or valuables damaged in the collision, these expenses can also be included.
- Medical Expenses– Truck accidents can often lead to serious injuries, which should be addressed quickly and properly if you’re going to make a full recovery. You may also have ongoing treatments for some time after the incident, and this will need to factor into your claim.
- Lost Wages – If the accident caused you to miss any work days and wages, these should be included in your semi-truck claim. The amount you can receive in lost wages will depend on how much time was taken off work while recovering from the accident, as well as other factors.
Non-Economic Damages After a Semi-Truck Crash In Nevada
Non-economic damages are related to nonfinancial losses resulting from an accident. This includes pain and suffering, mental anguish, and loss of enjoyment of life that resulted from the crash.
- Pain & Suffering – Pain and suffering is the physical or emotional distress caused by an injury following a truck accident. It usually includes pain, discomfort, stress, anxiety, depression, and more.
- Mental Anguish – Mental anguish is psychological distress caused by an accident that can be hard to quantify. However, it should still be considered when calculating damages, as this will allow you to recover for all losses related to the incident.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life – Loss of enjoyment of life is an intangible loss that refers to the inability to enjoy activities after an injury that affects your daily life. This may include not being able to do certain things that you could before or having difficulties engaging in pastimes or hobbies that you used to love.
Punitive Damages After a Semi-Truck Crash In Nevada
Punitive damages are damages awarded to a plaintiff to punish and deter the defendant from engaging in similar behavior. This type of damage is rare but may be considered if the truck driver was grossly negligent, intoxicated, or otherwise acted recklessly.
Wrongful Death Damages After a Semi-Truck Crash In Nevada
If someone close to you died as a result of a semi-truck crash, you might be entitled to wrongful death damages. These damages typically include funeral expenses, medical costs incurred before their death, loss of companionship and support, pain and suffering prior to death, and more.
It’s important to note that when filing an accident claim with an insurance company or other party involved in the accident, you may not be able to recover all or even most of the damages you are entitled to.
To ensure you get the compensation, you must speak with an experienced Nevada truck accident attorney, such as the ones at The Bourassa Law Group. Our personal injury lawyers can help you navigate the claims process and maximize your recovery, helping you make the most out of your claims!
A Quick Guide to Getting Compensation for Truck Accidents Caused By an Unexpected Medical Emergency
If you were in an accident caused by an unexpected medical emergency to a truck driver, you would want to know your options for compensation. Truck accidents can cause severe injuries and increase financial burdens. This article explains how to get compensation for truck accidents caused by an unexpected medical emergency, including the steps to establish […]
A Quick Guide to Strict Liability and Its Impact on Nevada Truck Accident Injury Claims
Truck accidents are more complicated than typical car accidents due to the numerous parties that could be held responsible for the accident. In a truck accident, determining who is responsible is essential in filing a successful truck accident claim. However, even if fault can be established, the legal doctrine of strict liability can affect the […]
Accidents and Injuries Caused by Cargo Falling off a Semi-Truck – Who’s Responsible for the Damages?
Commercial trucks pose a special risk to road safety for commuters. The possibility of falling cargo is a serious concern with this risk. When a semi-truck loses some or all of its load while moving at a high rate of speed, the consequences can be very hazardous for other motorists and road users. It’s especially […]
Are Box Truck Accidents In Nevada Treated the Same As Semi-Truck Accidents?
Most people typically picture collisions involving huge delivery trucks, usually massive semi-trucks and huge box trucks, whenever the topic of accidents involving large trucks comes up. However, the U.S. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) enforces numerous laws and regulations for semi-trucks, while only select box trucks must abide by these regulations. More investigation is […]
Causes of Semi-Truck Fifth Wheel Accidents
While trucks are required to have safety features like backup cameras and audible alarms for blind spots, these features do little to prevent accidents from happening when there are other contributing factors involved. By learning about some of the most common causes behind semi-truck accidents, you can help keep yourself safe on the road and […]
How Bobtail Trucks Put Nevada Drivers at Risk?
Truck drivers tend to lose control despite being well-trained and strict rules governing this sector, putting other vehicles at risk. And when it’s a bobtail truck, the risks are even higher. A bobtail truck is a large truck without its trailer. When you see a truck with no trailer, it’s said to be in bobtailing […]